We have created our own alternative exchange system featuring the Muiz Coin:
1 Muiz Coin = R15 = 1 Meal which is served from the Muizenberg Community Garden.
People can earn coins by volunteering in the kitchen or the garden and by doing the weekly street cleanups.
We are also hosting nutritional workshops which we co-host with Spaza Hub, which runs a network of kitchens in our neighbouring informal settlement, Vrygrond.
What we offer :
- Affordable meals with different access points/ options for alternative payment methods
- Freezer meals
- Bicycle delivery
- Weekly veg boxes
- Nutritional workshops
- Volunteer opportunities
- Connection with our community garden and school
- Catering services (Schools, events, celebrations)
- Care Packs: available in small, med or large. We deliver by bike. For people who are sick, isolating, postpartum or just needing a friendly boost.
- Packaging free shop
Meet the Team
Angeline: background in business development, sales, secretarial and child caregiver. Loves driving a truck and member of CAN Muizenberg. Motivated by money, people, connections and loves communicating.
Michael: medical scientist/forensic expert, Active member of CAN Muizenberg, loves the solidarity of people. Inspired and motivated by the potential of food energy to bring connection networks and social reforms in communities.
Claire: artist, based in Muizenberg for many years, loves the local nature and people. Inspired by the potential of food to bring about profound transformation in communities.
Sandi: background in Muizenberg community projects, involved in festivals with experience in sales, retail, software and training. People person and passionate about empowering people because it is part of her life’s mission
Leanne: social worker/logistics coordinator. Inspired to be involved in community-level transformation that brings people together and creates spaces for connection, entrepreneurship and care for each other.
So many more volunteers are making this kitchen buzzing and working.
How to support
- Come for lunch
- Buy Muiz Coins to allow someone else to get a meal
- Buy Freezer meals
- Donate (once off/ monthly)
- Have your goods delivered by bicycle
- Order our weekly veg boxes
- Attend our nutritional workshops/ sponsor someone else to attend
- Connect with our community garden and school
- Advocacy and education to support pensioners, low & moderate income individuals & families.
2020: in response to COVID-19, as part of the Muizenberg CAN, the Muizenberg community came together to make and serve over 30 000 meals, Monday to Friday for 8 months. This was all made possible by generous donations and volunteers.
In 2021, focus on emergency food security shifted and the Muiz Kitchen needed to navigate with new visions & entrepreneurial arms to sustain. We took an opportunity to move from The Daily Good Store right next to the beach. Find us right opposite the Muizenberg train station at 150 Main Road, Muizenberg.
The dream is to continue…
To continue cooking nutritious food,
sharing meals together,
learning new skills,
& coming alongside the
most vulnerable in our community.
Please join this movement of kindness, volunteer, donate or enjoy a delicious meal with us!
Where to find us
150 Main Road, 7950 Muizenberg